Electronics
 Best gps fishfinder under 2k
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Felton

77 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  20:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad is looking for a GPS and a fishfinder. He wants to keep it under $2000. What would ya'll recomend. It does not matter if it is two units or one. He probably needs at least a 7 in. monitor (His eyes are getting tired). The fishfinder is more important than the GPS. So he will sacrifice on the GPS to get a better fishfinder. I think he fishes in 300-600ft of water most of the time. He lives in Washington state. Oh yeah almost forgot it needs to be a transom mount transducer.

Thanks for the help.

Felton

Saint Simons Island Georgia
87 Mako 20C

Edited by - Felton on 03/25/2009 20:12:31

jvtuna

USA
1236 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  23:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garmin 540gps and Furuno 620 fish finder with Transom mount ducer.Garmin makes a combo unit #545S. for about $1100. However the FF part is not as good as the 620 unit. Try Jim at http://www.BOEmarine.com he can set you up with all the info.

jvtuna,Orland,Fl.1st Mako was a 20' next was a 78- 25' with twins.Current owner of an 89-210 with a 225-Rude.
I'm starting to get this feeling that I may be slipping to the DARK SIDE.
Go to Top of Page

WTB23inboard

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  20:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a humminbird 957c unit that is 1 month old with brand new transducer i will sell for 1k. i paid 1300 for it. plus 200 for the navionics chip that does the WHOLE east coast to the bahamas. unit is very very nice, only reason i will sell is beacuse the new boat i bought came with a nice lowrance chartplotter and nice furuno sounder that is already installed. let me know what you think
Go to Top of Page

Felton

77 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  20:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is looking for new equipment. Thanks for the offer. If I talk to anyone interested I will let ya know.

Saint Simons Island Georgia
87 Mako 20C
Go to Top of Page

ddd222

1190 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  00:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if u ask anyone who's owned a garmin it would be hard to find a bad word, and i've worked with most manufacturers units and the garmins are easily the most user friendly. If its in the budget the new "touch screen" units look way cool. And if ur definately going combo i would definately by all components up front, not just using the gps and adding fishfinding later, in my experience a little more $ and definately a haul for the transducer install, get it over with in one shot
Go to Top of Page

weir mako 21
Fire-Maine-iac

USA
2328 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2009 :  14:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a 10" Garmin 4210 with a digital sounder, gps module, and an airmar transducer for around $1700 last year. It is so easy to use even I could make it work. I'm dealing with a minor interference issue, but that is my electrical system not the unit. That said, my buddy has a a Furuno 620 FF and it is a very easy unit to use also...you just have to buy a separate GPS unit like jvtuna suggested....I'm sure Wart will agree as he runs a similar set up.
-John

Weir Mako 21
1985 21B
Project 21B
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32089
Project 25 Contender
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=55759

Go to Top of Page

reelman

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2009 :  16:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best bang for the buck is Lowrance, garmin gets expensive, for 2 k you won't believe what you'll get and I have both garmin and lowrance , the Lowrance is easier to plug and play sensors and what not Radar anyone , wher as adding on to garmin is not cheap, updating a lowrance unit is a snap, garmin gets involved. Bill

Dahlgren, Va.
HOLY MACKEREL 1973 20 ft CC
JESSICA LEE 1985 254 CC
Go to Top of Page

saltydog235

USA
895 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  13:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raymarine C series that way he can add components as he can afford them. Great sunlight readable display.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish w/ Yamaha F300.

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne
Go to Top of Page

spk217

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  15:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Northstar M84. It has lots of room to grow and so far it works great for me. The whole package including the 721VHF was less than 1600 from BOE marine.

Stewart,
1999 290 SeaVee, 250 E-Tecs
Previous-
1994 211 Classic & 01' 250 Yamaha SWSII OX66 Pascagoula, MS
Go to Top of Page

n2t5bf

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  17:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologize, guys, I know that this topic is very old, but maybe my answer will help someone in the future since I spent a lot of time to find the right information. all depends on what you want to spend, personally, I go with HDS Lowrance https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-fishfinder-gps-combo/ I also used a Furuno, Raymarine, and Navman.All brought good results with the right movement. I think that it comes down to personal elections and how much you need to spend this business personally. I find the 5 inch screens too small when working in split-screen mode. As far as the transducer goes it really depends on what you MAINLY fish for if most fishing is in depths less than 100m you'll be fine with the 600w transducer.Its all about getting the best unit that suits your fishing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07