Electronics
 Project Thread for the 171
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  17:00:03  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys! So I just emailed Mark from MMES Custom Panels (www.wewireboats.com), he came highly recommended on here and his work looks awesome. He got back to me super quick and I sent him (as best as I could) my thoughts on the new panel.

I wanted to start a project thread here that will mostly encompass electronic work, so you could see the modernization of my '91 171 Special with a new panel, etc (old/current panel pictured below). I've had the boat for a little over a year now and, as an avid fisherman, first things first was to change out the old, washed out fish finder for a new unit. I've attached images of that work. I also attached a compass to the console. I changed out the old Nav and Anchor lights with LED bulbs and love them. I was stopped routinely by the Maryland NRP last summer, right after I changed them and they thanked me for doing so as it made me a lot more visible compared to some of the older Makos they see (there are quite a few classic gems on the Chesapeake).

The plan right now is to get the new blue backlit panel installed and wired in with its blue LED rocker switches and new fuel gauge. With it, I'm going to add blue LED accent lights to the cockpit (and possibly some underwater off the stern in the future). I'm also going to add a horn, which is part of the panel plan. I want to add a second battery for all the added electronics and with it, a battery switch. I'm going to redo the breaker with the panel as the old one is definitely the original. I'm going to add blue LEDs in the storage areas (under console, in seat/livewell at front of console, and in bow storage) which will be switched on and off via switch on new panel. A stereo and speakers are ideal for the future but not necessary till down the road as my waterproof bluetooth speaker works great for now and I'm not a fan of loud music while sitting on top of a solid school of fish.

As the projects get completed and/or added on I'll be sure to update this thread!

Old/Current Panel:

Old Configuration/Fish Finder:

New Configuration/Fish Finder-Chartplotter:

1991 Mako 171 Special - 90hp Evinrude E-TEC -- "Mako on the Fly"
2002 Boston Whaler Outrage 17 - 115hp Johnson Oceanrunner - SOLD

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56226

www.tight-lined-tales-of-a-fly-fisherman.com
Look Good Feel Good. Fish Good.

Edited by - mkupfer32 on 09/07/2016 23:24:09

Megalops

313 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  08:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My old panel looks about like yours and I can't wait to replace it soon.
I'm also redoing my FF location and compass.

I think most people will say that your compass is way to close to your FF and it will mess up your compass reading.
I wonder how the compass would look if it was mounted in that square area below the throttle control?

1988 Mako 17 Angler 115 Yamaha
2006 197 Pioneer DF150 Suzuki-Sold
1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold

Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  15:01:22  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Megalops

My old panel looks about like yours and I can't wait to replace it soon.
I'm also redoing my FF location and compass.

I think most people will say that your compass is way to close to your FF and it will mess up your compass reading.
I wonder how the compass would look if it was mounted in that square area below the throttle control?

I thought about that but haven't had any problems. I have tested it with two other compasses and its pretty spot on. I thought about mounting it there but it looked a bit off and interfered with the throttle in reverse. I definitely have options and can move it and have kept an eye on it since. I was also thinking about flush mounting it but not sure if I want to cut big holes yet.

Edited by - mkupfer32 on 07/23/2016 14:04:40
Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  15:04:15  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
UPDATE: Heard back from Mark of MMES Custom Panels today, he sent me suggestions and a CAD drawing of the panel. He interpreted my jumbled email perfectly and the panel is phenomenal. We're going to move a few things around and I have some parts to send him to use but should have a final quote by the end of the week. Great customer service so far and excellent communication.

Will update once the panel design is finalized and we move forward in having it made. I think I'm going to have him make a harness and breaker panel just to have everything easier.

Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  21:20:26  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
UPDATE: Mark got back to me and we're in business. The panel will get started tomorrow once I give one final measurement. I'm pretty pumped about this as it's something I've wanted to do since the day I hitched the boat to my Jeep for the first time.

One thing I forgot to add in my first post was a minor, but important update, cup holders. As you saw in that, post there was a suction cup mount drink holder that has been removed. I added fold down cup holders on either side of the console.

Next update should be when I receive the panel.

Not sure if anyone is reading this thread but I'm hoping it will be another resource down the road for someone.

Go to Top of Page

snappergapper
The Freshman!

USA
2836 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  12:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing the panel. I know several people who will be interested in a new source

1984 Mako 224
1977 Mako 15
Clermont, Florida-
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal
Go to Top of Page

keyman

USA
2076 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  16:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Relocating the batteries and adding a battery switch is one of the first thing you should do. Adding an ACR would help keep both batteries charged. Mounting a small sub panel with Blueseas fuse panel and buss bear also would update the electrical.

Keyman
Paoli, PA
Go to Top of Page

keyman

USA
2076 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  16:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keyman

Relocating the batteries and adding a battery switch is one of the first thing you should do. Adding an ACR would help keep both batteries charged. Mounting a small sub panel with Blueseas fuse panel and buss bar also would update the electrical.

Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  21:21:28  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Relocating the batteries and adding a battery switch is one of the first thing you should do. Adding an ACR would help keep both batteries charged. Mounting a small sub panel with Blueseas fuse panel and buss bear also would update the electrical.

Any suggestions on brands for the ACR?

Thanks for the input, you seem to have some great stuff on here, I find your replies in a lot of topics I follow.

Edited by - mkupfer32 on 09/06/2016 07:45:19
Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  13:41:44  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Worked on the boat a bit today and decided I need to put a new fuel/water separator system in. The one on there now is beat, pretty corroded and worth the $30 to change it out. Also found that my trailer wiring is no bueno. Apparently the last dip was the final straw for it. Tried to rewire with materials I have but found all the wires corroded so going to do a complete overhaul, another $30 I see as worth it.

On a positive note, I gave her a full wash down, wax and polish and covered her with the brand new full cover. Also used Sno-Bol on the ETEC and it took all the stains off, its so white you can't even look at it without shades on! A few more small things here and there + the panel install and she will be PERFECT (until the next small thing falls apart)!

Edited by - mkupfer32 on 07/23/2016 13:42:38
Go to Top of Page

keyman

USA
2076 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2016 :  20:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we had our 17 I redesigned thewiring to include a sub panel with use block, busbar and terminal. The fuse panel replaced all the inline fuses. I installed a bluesea ACR which help keep both batteries charged rather than having to charge each battery prior to using the boat. Refer to my posts for the 17, if you can't find them I'll repost the sub panel post. We had two different batteries, one starting and one deep cycle.

Keyman
Paoli, PA
Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  16:06:35  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

When we had our 17 I redesigned thewiring to include a sub panel with use block, busbar and terminal. The fuse panel replaced all the inline fuses. I installed a bluesea ACR which help keep both batteries charged rather than having to charge each battery prior to using the boat. Refer to my posts for the 17, if you can't find them I'll repost the sub panel post. We had two different batteries, one starting and one deep cycle.

Awesome, thats great info, thank you keyman! I have a dual battery right now but need to add a second so I've been waiting for good pricing on a deep cycle to use as a "house" battery and just use the dual as a starter.

Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2016 :  23:53:20  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Received my new panel from Mark the other day and could not be happier. He forgot to install the fuel gauge so I will be doing that with his great instruction. Great communication and product. Will post pictures tomorrow!

Go to Top of Page

Sailor

USA
10722 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  09:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Sailor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the pictures of the panel. BEP makes a really good ACR as well.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
1985 Mako 20c - sold
Mary Esther, FL
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841

Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  20:06:39  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey y'all! So sorry for the delay, I've had the panel for a few weeks now but have been swamped with work and haven't even had the chance to install. I will be going from a single to dual battery system shortly so was waiting till I had everything for that so I can knock out the panel/breaker install and new battery system install at the same time. Here are the long awaited panel photos:

It turned out perfectly, exactly how I wanted and Mark gave the best customer service I think I've ever had from anyone. He was attentive with my questions and quick to respond. He worked with me to make sure every last detail was customized and how I want it. Couldn't be happier. Next photos should be of the install and post-install.

Go to Top of Page

keyman

USA
2076 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  16:33:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Switch panel looks great. I still prefer to have wire labels on the wire for ease of trouble shooting. Based on the lenght of the wire harness you will need to mount the terminals on a sub panel to interconnecting to fusepanel and devices right?

Keyman
Paoli, PA
Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  14:30:24  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Switch panel looks great. I still prefer to have wire labels on the wire for ease of trouble shooting. Based on the lenght of the wire harness you will need to mount the terminals on a sub panel to interconnecting to fusepanel and devices right?

Mounted the switch panel, see below. The fuses are built into the switch panel and breaker block panel has yet to be mounted. Added a second battery to the boat and therefore a new two battery switch (1 2 Both Off). Have yet to mount those both as I'm attempting to figure our a small nav lighting issue.

Also added the horn, AFI Mini Compact Electric horn, works great, actually really loud for its size. Mounted that on the left interior of the console. The plan is to mount the terminal block and battery switch on the right interior of the console and then use zip ties to tidy everything up.

The storage lights are up next to add in and eventually, the accent lighting inside of the cockpit as well as underwater off the stern will most likely be on the project list for 2017.

After fixing the Nav and Aft running lighting, and prior to this winter, I'm going to add in a 2 port onboard battery charger for the batteries and I like your idea of adding in an ACR Keyman.

Go to Top of Page

SeaReel

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  21:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man that looks really nice! Good work.

Columbus, Georgia
1973 Mako 17 angler "Reel's Angler"
Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  22:17:53  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaReel

Man that looks really nice! Good work.

Thank you!

I redid the trailer lighting two weeks ago, forgot to post that that was complete. I also did the new fuel/water separator. I love how new everything is looking, it really gives the 171 a great facelift and gives you a small glimpse of what these 80's and 90's 171's looked like coming off the factory floor.

Edited by - mkupfer32 on 09/06/2016 07:49:26
Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  07:57:28  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are the before and after photos of the fuel/water separator.

Before:

After:

Go to Top of Page

keyman

USA
2076 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  20:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! Consider adding a Bluseas 285 surface mounted circuit breaker between house battery and suggested fuse panel. The fuse panel provides main protection to the switch panel for one. All electronics should be wired to the fuse panel and remove the inline fuses. Adding a small sub panel allows for mounting the battery switch and ACR, fuse panel, busbar, main circuit breaker and terminals. Could provide an Excel spreadsheet and sketches of suggested sub panel and wiring diagrams. Let me know at DMK one one six at comcast dot net.

Keyman
Paoli, PA
Go to Top of Page

michigan dave
Peacekeeper

USA
8917 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  07:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That new panel and wiring looks awesome. When it comes time for my 171 to get new panel it will be just like yours....Thanks for the documentary....

d

1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson
1996 Mako 22
1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury
1987 21b 225 Yamaha
1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.
1979m21 225johnson "blue dolphin" bought off this board and restored
with everyone's help!!Gone but not Forgotten....
1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone
1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone
1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone
1983 224 with closed transom and bracket
And 162 SOB (some other boats)
Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.
Go to Top of Page

keyman

USA
2076 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2016 :  13:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found my old 17 power panel rewire in the project section on page 26. Power panel replaced all the inline fuses. Also shows the schematic diagram of complete rewire if you want to review.

Keyman
Paoli, PA
Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  06:23:44  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Found my old 17 power panel rewire in the project section on page 26. Power panel replaced all the inline fuses. Also shows the schematic diagram of complete rewire if you want to review.

Hey Keyman! I absolutely will check it out. Have been out of town for business so wasn't able to check in on my topics. I will possibly email you too if I have any questions, thank you!

Go to Top of Page

mkupfer32

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  13:36:49  Show Profile  Visit mkupfer32's Homepage  Reply with Quote
July 2017 Update!

Happy (early) 4th everyone! The Mako is running great these days. Just thought I'd give a little update since I last posted.

-Had to get a new O-ring for the rear deck plate, found one for about $9 at the local pool supply store.

-Turned the boat into a two battery system and installed a dual switch for them.

-Installed a new bilge since the original finally burned out, affordable and easy fix.

-Rewired all of the Nav lighting and wired in the tach and compass into the switch as well. Upgraded all of the lighting to LEDs and put in a new/fully rewired Perko Pole mount on the transom.

-Cleaned up most of the wiring in the CC with split loom tubing and zip ties.

-Installed Lumitec Andros accent lights with blue LEDs in the cockpit and have ordered a pair of blue Lumitec Seablaze Mini underwater transom lights.

Pictures to follow...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07