New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MakoShako

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  20:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys! Here's another automotive question for the boat guys:

My 2007 Escalade ESV has a an Air Bag Light on the dash board going off. Tried the standard youtube checks for the seat sensors being disconnected, so now I am on to the 2 front sensors under the front bumper. Does anybody know of an OBD that can decode which sensor is bad? How about the newer bluetooth OBD systems that can hook up to the car and be read by an iPhone?

Thanks, the safety belts worked before.

72' Mako 22'
NoNeck, VA

ruli00

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  20:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no mechanic but I do know that air bags are supposed to be serviced after 10 years. Perhaps the light is on because of this.

-Raul
from Tampa, Florida

1987 Mako 171 Angler - 2017 Suzuki 115
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53563

1987 Mako 21B - 2013 Suzuki 150 4 stroke
Go to Top of Page

DestinBound

USA
1575 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  22:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakoShako

Hey guys! Here's another automotive question for the boat guys:

My 2007 Escalade ESV has a an Air Bag Light on the dash board going off. Tried the standard youtube checks for the seat sensors being disconnected, so now I am on to the 2 front sensors under the front bumper. Does anybody know of an OBD that can decode which sensor is bad? How about the newer bluetooth OBD systems that can hook up to the car and be read by an iPhone?

Thanks, the safety belts worked before.

I have the BlueDriver ODB2 scan tool and it works good for reading codes. It should read airbag codes for your Escalade but I'm not sure how detailed the data is. I've used mine numerous times. It didn't work too well on our new project '97 E36 M3 though and I had to break down and get a tool I could load the BMW program into. However, I've used it on a number of GM, Jeep, and other makes.

'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL
'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL
'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Edited by - DestinBound on 10/03/2017 22:54:11
Go to Top of Page

MakoShako

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  18:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shoot, just ordered the "replacement" sensors thinking that yep they are ~10 years old AND they are in a harsh environment AND they are a electrical/mechanical device AND if they don't work, it is a pretty severe safety issue.

Paid ~$80/ea off of Amazon (matched the PN).

However, thanks! Now the next time that my $40 OBD reader says everything is AOK, I will look into the BlueDriver ODB2 scan tool. Looks good, but ~$99 on Wal-Mart.

Thanks again!

72' Mako 22'
NoNeck, VA
Go to Top of Page

muzzy1127

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  06:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its really a crap shoot unless you get the scanner and get the proper codes. Sorry for sounding cliche, but there's so many components to these vehicles. I am a master certified car mechanic. Ive seen loose wire harness on the power seats, bad grounds. Failing occupancy classification sensors. Could be the clockspring in your steering wheel. The code will tell you which component of the SRS system is in distress and there will still be troubleshooting to be done.

I dont know of any inexpensive scantool to get into the body control module. I have the autel maxidas at my house and I think it still retails for 800-1000 at harbor freight.

Marc Muzzy
S.W. Florida
Anna Maria Island
'80 25 '09 suzuki 250

Go to Top of Page

MakoShako

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  19:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Muzzy, replaced the 2 sensors ... checked the first and the light was still on, freaked me out when checking the second, but the light went out and stayed out. I read the info on the BlueDriver ODB2 scan tool and it said it could read the Air Bag System, but no details, hence my original question about one that does.

So are you saying that there are no inexpensive scantools out there that can read ABS?

72' Mako 22'
NoNeck, VA
Go to Top of Page

muzzy1127

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  06:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Air bag is SRS. supplemental restraint system. cheap scanners can get into Antilock Brake System, yes. I havent had luck with many cheap scanners in regards to tracing any real issues. The codes are vauge. You will also want to be able to look at live data and beable to activate/deactivate components. When scanners get to be that in depth prices add up due to both software and the hardware(scanner) itself. The Autel Maxidas ds708 is what I use at home and it gets by but sometimes I still go to my friends shop and use his Tech2 programmer for Chevy.

Not to sound like a wise ass but thats why theres a $100 diagnostic fee at most shops to hook up their scan tools that cost nearly as much as our boats, lol.

Also with SRS codes, You must reset the computer after any work. Diagnostic Trouble codes are stored. Even if the fault is no longer present. The only way I think I could reset a code without the scan tool is with the battery disconnected we actually used to use vise grip pliers to hold the + and - wires together to drain all of the diodes in computer. This is also good practice when working on the SRS system in order to prevent accidental discharge.
Go to Top of Page

MakoShako

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  20:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Muzzy, I am an acronym idiot being an engineer and have seen ABS "overloaded" (software term) simply meaning multiple definitions. I swear I saw a cheap scanner that could read the SRS, but I could be wrong.

Believe me I do understand the business side of the expensive tools that auto shops have to buy that are constantly changing and $100 for diagnostics are justified, but I don't want to spend the money and then another $400 to get a repair.

As far as the SRS system is concerned I did listen to one youtube and I remember them saying that the system did not need to be reset. All I did every time I checked or replace components was term the ignition on (not starting) and watching for the light to go out. It was not until replacing the right sensor, turned the ignition on that the light went out.

Did not think about an accidental discharge.

Thanks

72' Mako 22'
NoNeck, VA
Go to Top of Page

muzzy1127

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  07:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our tool guy comes today, ill ask him. when you get into SRS and ABS it is real important to see live data. A lot of these new cars go through CAN BUS. Its important to see which component is sending/receiving data. A Code reader may exist, but it may give you something along the lines of "passenger SRS sensor" That may help, but is it the sensor, the wiring? is the sensor not getting the proper reading from the occupancy classification sensor that most new cars have (2009+) so wouldnt effect you.

I bet if you looked on an escalade/suburban forum, you can find someone with the tools to scan for you for a few bucks.

Ive heard horror stories about accidental discharge, thankfully it hasnt occurred to me, yet.

Again, not to sound like a wise ass, but SRS codes are always stored, whether present or not. Some vehicles may need the code present in order to activate the malfunction light. but the code is always stored. I dont work on cars for a living anymore, I did get frustrated from people saying "google said" or "youtube said" id always, respectfully, tell them to have google come fix the car then.

Is the malfunction lamp still on? I could send you one of my scan tools, since its not my living, we could work out a deposit/shipping agreement. I dont want to see you get dicked around.

Sometimes you can pay a shop for diagnostic, do the work yourself and negotiate them to flash the computer. You always run the risk of them saying you used the wrong parts, or you did it wrong though.

My friend did get a "torque pro" app for his iphone and he loved it. He is standing here as I type it, He said there is a monthly charge, but he only used it when he needed it and he got almost as far as any professional tool could get him.

Do you have facebook? I can ask on my Suburban/tahoe/escalade group about a good scan tool for you too- maybe one of those guys know, I have always been fortunate to have access to the shop tools.

Marc Muzzy
S.W. Florida
Anna Maria Island
'80 25 '09 suzuki 250

Go to Top of Page

MakoShako

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  14:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Muzzy, the light went out after replacing the right sensor under the radiator (pain in the ass since there is little room up there).

I looked on youtubes (most suck) and forums(I am a member of the Cadillac Forum), but did not find much help there.

I would think that the main sensors which have only 2 pins would have to be shorted out to cause a accidental discharge which would be pretty difficult just messing with the sensors.

I don't doubt that the codes are stored, but the light did go out with out pulling battery power and just cycling ignition.

As said the car now has 2 new front sensors and the light is out. My main thought is for future purposes. It was frustrating just doing replace and check, but I got lucky this time.

I do have Facebook ... I can try to look up that group.

Thanks, again!

72' Mako 22'
NoNeck, VA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07