Shark Tank
 Reputation of Sailfish Boats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

footy3

270 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  10:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not really too familiar with them and was wondering if anyone had one, or knew someone who had one and what the quality of the boat was. thanks in advance.

ChuckB
Good Luck Chuck

USA
11386 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  11:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What model are you looking at? I have spent a good amount of time on 2 larger models. They are deep V boats that have a great ride and are well finished. Cosmetically they never really appealed to me, I think it is the high gunnels, however the 29' seems well proportioned and is more appealing to me. I have never researched myself, but have been told it is a copy of the old Seacraft hulls. The 2 boats I have experience on are solid battle wagons I always felt comfortable in. There are boats out there faster and more economical, but these are big heavy deep v boats.

This is a 2380, which is really the 2660, but branded different for Kingfish tournaments. It was a beast, had 250's, and, although heard good reports, I couldn't imagine the many hulls I've seen with 150's.

And this year my buddy upgraded to the 2860, which is now the 29'. It is longer and wider than the 2380 was, but actually more economical with same power. I think this boat looks good.

'82 224 - Mobile, AL
Project Boats - Eric Nelson's 224
Repowered w/'04 Evinrude DI 200
Pulled by Space Shuttle Towing TUNDRA.

Transom and bottom - http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31915

Go to Top of Page

footy3

270 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  14:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was actually thinking of the 275 DC, dual console. Much as I like my center console, growing family demands are making me look at other options. I saw a bunch of different dual consoles at the Atlantic City boat show, grady, whaler, pursuit, I liked the layout of the Sailfish, but really unfamiliar with the brand. The whole dual console with a hardtop thing really opened my eyes. I went to look at some Steiger Crafts, but the versatility of the dual consoles really appealed to the wife and daughter. I'm thinking maybe I make some sacrifices in fishability in order to get the=m to spend more time on the water with me.
Go to Top of Page

gmcauliffe

USA
1749 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  21:27:21  Show Profile  Visit gmcauliffe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good brand, solid boats, well build, with more creature comforts n conveniences, targeted more at family fishing (like Robalo, Everglades etc) than pure fishing (like Contender Regulator).

NYC & L.I. - 1974 "Classic" Mako 20' - Suzuki 2006 DF150 - Fly & Light Tackle, C&R
My boat: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23444#159594
Personal website: http://www.georgemcauliffe.com/
Go to Top of Page

ChuckB
Good Luck Chuck

USA
11386 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  08:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 275 is a good looking boat, and I suspect it is same hull as the 2380 we fished. As I stated I am amazed at reports I hear about performance with 150's. The 2380 with 250's was fast and performed well, but didn't have crazy numbers. It could be motors too low, wrong props, etc..., but I still can't imagine the hull with less than 200's. I would certainly want to water test a 27' boat with 150's before I purchased.

'82 224 - Mobile, AL
Project Boats - Eric Nelson's 224
Repowered w/'04 Evinrude DI 200
Pulled by Space Shuttle Towing TUNDRA.

Transom and bottom - http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31915

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07