1986 20c Rehab
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fortygrip

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  09:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decided it was time to start a new thread of my adventures. Around a year ago I bought a 1986 20C with an 1995 Evinrude 150. This was to be a replacement for the 1971 17 Standard that i tore apart and decided not to finish. I told my wife that this wasn't a project boat. Of course I was wrong. Man do these things escalate quickly. All it takes is one blown motor and next thing you know you're into a full blown rehab project. Since the Evinrude is coming off and I'm replacing with a Yamaha I figured it was a good time to redo the rats nest of electrical throw up the previous owners had blessed me with. And since i was de-rigging I might as well pull the console off and clean out around the coffin lid. And since I was removing the console, I might as well pull up the coffin lid and inspect the tank. And since I pulled up the coffin lid and saw the horror that lied beneath, I might as well replace the tank and lines. Yeah, it happened that fast.

Pic of boat after I added leaning post and new bimini and before Evinrude went down.

Found a great deal on a 1983 20b with a 2003 Yamaha 150. Boat had been dropped by a marina and seperated the hull and cap. Took everything off I wanted and sold the hull. Here's a pic of the sisters.

Didn't think to take pictures of the de-rigging but here's one with Evinrude off the transom.

Coffin lid off

Nice channel in the foam to a drain in the back of coffin. Too bad the water never made it there, just soaked the foam below.

Found the t-shirt

Hole in top of tank

After digging all the foam out from around tank, it just wouldn't let go of bottom foam. Took forever, but after consulting some other fine folks on here I put a 4x4 across the gunnels and wrapped a ratchet strap around fill neck. Thank the lord the fill neck welding was strong. Put tension on and left overnight. Came back out the next day and used a pry bar under the mounting tabs and slowly it let loose. What a great feeling that is.

Foam under coffin was wet, I was able to dig out quite a bit thru holes but can't decide if i should cut coffin out. Is it worth it? I know i could reduce some extra weight and no better time to do it, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the hassle. Bravo2 0 and surfishjoe made it look easy. Any thoughts?

Chris
Fort Myers,Fl
1986 Mako 20C
2003 Yamaha 150

Edited by - fortygrip on 07/25/2017 10:31:18

Sailor

USA
10140 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  13:11:46  Show Profile  Visit Sailor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
good project going on, but the big question is what was on the t-shirt? Lots of rock-n-roll t-shirts have been found!

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
1985 Mako 20c - sold
Mary Esther, FL
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841

Go to Top of Page

fortygrip

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  14:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a good question. I think it started as a hanes undershirt, but now I've gotta go home and investigate deeper. Stay tuned!

Chris
Fort Myers,Fl
1986 Mako 20C
2003 Yamaha 150
Go to Top of Page

fortygrip

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2017 :  20:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Saz's Milwaukee. Quick google search returned Saz's State House Restaurant. Pretty cool

Chris
Fort Myers,Fl
1986 Mako 20C
2003 Yamaha 150
Go to Top of Page

usgbds2004

19 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  06:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are you at in lee county. I am out in lehigh and have been rebuilding a 1970 19 for around 3 years now.
Go to Top of Page

fortygrip

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  09:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Lehigh too. North end of Sunshine

Chris
Fort Myers,Fl
1986 Mako 20C
2003 Yamaha 150
Go to Top of Page

Sailor

USA
10140 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  14:07:22  Show Profile  Visit Sailor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's very interesting! I bet yours is the only one.

quote:
Originally posted by fortygrip

Looks like Saz's Milwaukee. Quick google search returned Saz's State House Restaurant. Pretty cool

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
1985 Mako 20c - sold
Mary Esther, FL

Go to Top of Page

fortygrip

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  18:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a lot of progress the last week or so. Got the fuel lines out. Thank god Mako abandoned the aluminum elbows by the time my boat went to production. They came out nice and easy through the chase. About choked when i started pricing replacement hoses tho.
Think I've decided to remove coffin and dig out any wet foam. It might be more work but won't cost too much more to do and then I'll know for sure that it's good. I also figured with the coffin out I could add some backing plates under the deck where the t-top is going to mount. I ordered a half mask respirator, goggles and a tyvek suit for when the grinding begins.

Chris
Fort Myers,Fl
1986 Mako 20C
2003 Yamaha 150
Go to Top of Page

Sailor

USA
10140 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2017 :  10:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Sailor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While you have everything apart I would replace the pie plates in the stern with a waterproof hatch.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
1985 Mako 20c - sold
Mary Esther, FL

Go to Top of Page

fortygrip

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  23:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decided to cut coffin out. Measured down 3" from lip and used a 4.5" grinder with a metal cut off wheel. Worked great. Tried to get out in one piece but no luck. Cut down the middle and came out with no problems. Foam underneath was wet, but not as bad as i expected. Dug out everything with moisture and decided to tunnel forward to inspect the fish box drain. It does leak because foam around pipe was wet, but must not be too bad because only immediate foam around pipe is moist. I made it to connection at fish box and it's still intact. I only removed just enough foam to see pipe, but i plan on making tunnel bigger so I can go ahead and redo plumbing to eliminate the leak.

The drain pipe from forward fish box has a tee behind coffin that connects pipe at rear of coffin. No fitting at termination to coffin so pipe just flaps in breeze. Will add fitting to keep it inside hole before i close up. Mako got a little stingy on foam at rear of coffin. Just as well, less for me to remove when I build bulkhead to keep bilge water from moving forward.

That hose channel is a lovely thing.

For anyone else that decides to cut coffin out of a 20c, measure down at least 4" to clear this plywood backing strip that runs on port and starboard sides of coffin. Was a little harder than it needed to be to pop coffin free. On the plus side, when I go to put it back in I can just screw right in to strip to hold in place while fiberglassing.

Foam removed. Will let it dry out while I await supplies from US Composites. Gonna use 4lb foam to replace what was removed.

Another pic looking towards transom. Foam is so black it almost looks painted. That's the drain pipe you can see.

Chris
Fort Myers,Fl
1986 Mako 20C
2003 Yamaha 150

Edited by - fortygrip on 08/12/2017 23:43:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07