ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc.
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc.
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 ClassicMako.com Forums
 Mako Projects
 Water pickup relocation 254?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

James
New Member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  20:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am replacing the transom on my 84 254. The water pickup for the livewell was located on the port side just as the v starts and about 6 inches from the transom edge. The problem I had was that it hit the trailer bunk and I really could not move the bunk and support the boat proper. So while I was replacing the transom core I removed the pick-up and fiberglassed over the hole. Now I can't decide where would be the best placement to relocate it. I have twin engines on a 30 inch Armstrong bracket and the sonar is dead center of the keel about 1 1/2 feet from the transom edge. Any suggestions on location that would not interfere with props, sonar or trailer bunks.

Sailor
Moderator

USA
10229 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  08:38:43  Show Profile  Visit Sailor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
typically you want them more in the rear as that is where the access is in case you need to quickly get to the seacock and you always have water flowing in that area (for most people). Another solution is to notch the wood on the buck board in that location which would have been a lot easier then relocating the pickup.


quote:
Originally posted by James

I am replacing the transom on my 84 254. The water pickup for the livewell was located on the port side just as the v starts and about 6 inches from the transom edge. The problem I had was that it hit the trailer bunk and I really could not move the bunk and support the boat proper. So while I was replacing the transom core I removed the pick-up and fiberglassed over the hole. Now I can't decide where would be the best placement to relocate it. I have twin engines on a 30 inch Armstrong bracket and the sonar is dead center of the keel about 1 1/2 feet from the transom edge. Any suggestions on location that would not interfere with props, sonar or trailer bunks.


1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
1985 Mako 20c - sold
Mary Esther, FL
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841

Go to Top of Page

James
New Member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  22:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sailor
I notched the bunk to start with but it would still slide over enough to hit sometimes. I often use ramps that are on rivers and the current makes it difficult to keep the boat centered and the pick up from hitting the bunk. I would like to slide it down toward the keel but unsure if it will cause prop issues if it is inline with the motor.
James
Go to Top of Page

thejeepguy87
Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  08:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

Sailor
I notched the bunk to start with but it would still slide over enough to hit sometimes. I often use ramps that are on rivers and the current makes it difficult to keep the boat centered and the pick up from hitting the bunk. I would like to slide it down toward the keel but unsure if it will cause prop issues if it is inline with the motor.
James



I would think as small as that is it would not cause an issue. Do you have a high speed pickup for this?

Scott
St. Petersburg, FL

'07 Mako 19 bay, sold
'76 Mako 21, sold
'77 Mako 21, dump
'77 Mako 22, sold
'80 Mako 23 WA, sold
'82 Mako 21, sold
'85 Mako 254 currently
'78 J24 USA 292 racing sailboat
Go to Top of Page

James
New Member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  20:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a high speed pick up although I am going to buy another one because the grate is broken from hitting the trailer bunk. I would always get a spray up behind the boat on the side it was located if the trim tabs were up and I was on smooth lake water. I guess I can always patch the hole back up if it creates a problem but I am tired of grinding and sanding on this project. I was hoping someone else had one on a twin engine bracketed boat for reference.
Go to Top of Page

thejeepguy87
Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  09:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

It is a high speed pick up although I am going to buy another one because the grate is broken from hitting the trailer bunk. I would always get a spray up behind the boat on the side it was located if the trim tabs were up and I was on smooth lake water. I guess I can always patch the hole back up if it creates a problem but I am tired of grinding and sanding on this project. I was hoping someone else had one on a twin engine bracketed boat for reference.



My boat is twin engine and bracketed. I would guess mine is 6" to the starboard side of the bottom V and is has no effect on my engines. When I had a single, it had no effect. On the port side I used to have a grounding lug with a zinc plate and that did not effect the motors either.

Scott
St. Petersburg, FL

'07 Mako 19 bay, sold
'76 Mako 21, sold
'77 Mako 21, dump
'77 Mako 22, sold
'80 Mako 23 WA, sold
'82 Mako 21, sold
'85 Mako 254 currently
'78 J24 USA 292 racing sailboat
Go to Top of Page

James
New Member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  19:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott
This is the type pick up I have https://www.groco.net/products/fittings/scoop-thru-hull-fittings/sth-series-scoop . Is this the same as yours or do you have one that does not protrude as much from the hull?
James
Go to Top of Page

Sailor
Moderator

USA
10229 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  11:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Sailor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see a picture of your boat on the trailer.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
1985 Mako 20c - sold
Mary Esther, FL
http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841

Go to Top of Page

James
New Member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  20:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can get a picture this weekend in the daylight but not sure how to post it now.
Go to Top of Page

James
New Member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  21:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://i.imgur.com/70fkY4L.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HRkXrGN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/37wnrsb.jpg

Trailer pictures with boat
James


Edited by - James on 10/15/2017 21:26:41
Go to Top of Page

thejeepguy87
Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  08:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the exact same pickup. I did read the high speed pickups were not good, but I cannot remember where I read that.

Mine is 6" up on the starboard side.

Why is yours hitting the bunk? Is it that close to the strakes?

Scott
St. Petersburg, FL

'07 Mako 19 bay, sold
'76 Mako 21, sold
'77 Mako 21, dump
'77 Mako 22, sold
'80 Mako 23 WA, sold
'82 Mako 21, sold
'85 Mako 254 currently
'78 J24 USA 292 racing sailboat
Go to Top of Page

James
New Member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  19:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it was that close to the strake. It came through between the stringer and battery tray. The boat is sitting back on the trailer right now where I could patch the old hole. I ordered a new pickup from Groco that basically looks like a thru hull with a section ground out to force water in. It does not have the scoop part.
James
Go to Top of Page

thejeepguy87
Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  10:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

Yes it was that close to the strake. It came through between the stringer and battery tray. The boat is sitting back on the trailer right now where I could patch the old hole. I ordered a new pickup from Groco that basically looks like a thru hull with a section ground out to force water in. It does not have the scoop part.
James



I would put it down near the bottom. Mine is close to where the connection goes into the in deck live well. Hoping one day to fabricate a live well leaning post combination.

Scott
St. Petersburg, FL

'07 Mako 19 bay, sold
'76 Mako 21, sold
'77 Mako 21, dump
'77 Mako 22, sold
'80 Mako 23 WA, sold
'82 Mako 21, sold
'85 Mako 254 currently
'78 J24 USA 292 racing sailboat
Go to Top of Page

James
New Member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  22:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My transducer is right where where the deck bait tank drain is. I think at this point I am going to put it a little lower than the port stinger about 8 inches in. It will probably be right in line with the port engine at this spot. I am hoping the lower profile does not cause a prop problem. My plans this year was to buil a leaning post/bait well but the transom job took my time and money for that project. Maybe next year.
James
Go to Top of Page

thejeepguy87
Member

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2017 :  13:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a plan. I can send you a photo of where mine is if you want.

My email is my username at gmail

I just got the bottom blasted so my pickup is bright and shiny!

Scott
St. Petersburg, FL

'07 Mako 19 bay, sold
'76 Mako 21, sold
'77 Mako 21, dump
'77 Mako 22, sold
'80 Mako 23 WA, sold
'82 Mako 21, sold
'85 Mako 254 currently
'78 J24 USA 292 racing sailboat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ClassicMako Owners Club, Inc. © Louisiana Web Host, LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07